Thursday, November 13, 2008

Consequences of our acts

According to the blog Pandagon, the manager of eatery El Coyote in Los Angeles is a Mormon who donated to “Yes on 8.” With a large gay clientele, the owner should not have been surprised when they decided to boycott the establishment.

I guess I believe that, if you are a good Mormon, and your Church asks you to support a bill that denies the marriage of gay couples, you need to be proud to follow their precepts. They are against the marriage of gays. They ask you to support them in that. Period. If you however do not believe in that, you tell your religion that. But you don’t complain if the gay people boycott your restaurant and hurt you financially, pretending that you didn’t do something they find offensive, because you did. You simply cannot have it both ways. Sorry.

The only way out, if you truly like the gays and their rights, is to disavow your Church on that particular issue. If they don’t like it, tough. It all boils down to who has power over you; do you have power over yourself or does your Church have power over you? That’s a decision you must make for yourself. You cannot evade the consequences of your acts. 

I mention this because it seems to me McCain has been guilty of this double standard, and he now has to face up to the consequences of his acts.  Pretending it was all fun and games is a favorite ploy.  Denial is another.  Sometimes evil is punished, sometimes it goes unnoticed.  But standing up tall for what you believe in is a real virtue.

The quote by  Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) really makes sense here:

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
  And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
  And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
  And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up." 



No comments:

Post a Comment